What does this Amazon Web Services Solution do?
For customers who need to build media systems on the cloud, Amazon Web Services provides an out-of-the-box media platform that integrates a variety of functions, such as video transcoding, video watermarking, video on-demand and video streaming, etc. Leveraging Amazon Web Services serverless computing engines, the solution offers scalability, elasticity and high availability for the platform. You do not need to operate, maintain and manage cloud resources.
Amazon Web Services Solution overview
The diagram below shows the solution architecture. You can launch the solution using the Amazon CloudFormation template and follow the deployment guide to set up and use the solution.
The platform consists of the following modules:
Media Proxy: The high available proxy server cluster is built on Amazon ECS Service.
- provide RTMP streaming addresses
- support the access of large number of devices
- leverage lightweight HAProxy to provide unified streaming addresses
Media Gateway: Based on Node-Media-Server, the high-performance and light-weight RTMP server does the following:
- provide accesses for RTMP/RTMPs streams
- maintain metadata of video streams such as streaming status, channel session etc.
- maintain streaming client status based on events
- monitor client status and schedule ECS tasks accordingly
Metadata Management: This module mainly leverages Amazon DynamoDB to manage the metadata of video streams. The module does the following:
- provide RESTful APIs for CRUD management through Amazon API Gateway
- dynamically configure video stream processing parameters
- automatically generate a unique video push channel
- fetch URLs of video pushing and pulling through APIs
Media Processor: The module leverages Amazon ECR Fargate to provide features such as video live streaming, video transcoding, video recording, video segmentation, etc. The module does the following:
- encode and transcode video in real-time
- segment videos and images and store the segments in Amazon S3
- allow customization of segment time and transcoding parameters
- support HTTP-FLV (~2 seconds delay) and HLS/CMAF (~10 seconds delay)
Media Distribution: The module leverages Amazon ECS Fargate and Amazon CloudFront to provide seamless video experience. The module does the following:
- compose multiple input streams to single output stream
- leverage built-in nginx cache to avoid thundering herd problem
- secure access with signed URLs
Web Console: Note that the console is for demonstration purposes only. By default, solution will NOT create the web console. You need to explicitly configure it in the CloudFormation parameter before deployment.
Serverless Video Streaming Solution
Last updated: 09/2021
Author: Amazon Web Services
Estimated deployment time: 30 min
Open source and customization
Browse our portfolio of Amazon Web Services -built solutions to common architectural problems.
Find Amazon Web Services certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Sign-up and start exploring our services.