What does this Amazon Web Services Solution do?
This solution offers a flexible and low-cost approach for customers to send alerts generated from Amazon Cloud to third-party platforms (e.g. WeChat). You can customize alert triggers based on your specific use cases. Sample alert triggers are as below:
- Alert when services was interrupted or APIs became unavailable
- Alert when the Amazon EC2 instance status changed (a new instance starts, an instance stops working)
- Alert when files in the Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) got deleted
- Alert when the JVM memory or capacity of Amazon OpenSearch reached 80%
- Alert when unexpected user logged in to the Amazon Web Services console
- Alert when Amazon Security Hub identified security risks or compliance issues
- Alert when the SaaS partners supported by Amazon EventBridge (such as Auth0, MongoDB) generated an alarm
- Alert when customer-defined business indicators met threshold
Amazon Web Services Solution overview
The diagram below shows the solution architecture. You can launch the solution using the Amazon CloudFormation template and follow the deployment guide to set up and use the solution.
The solution leverages Amazon CloudFormation template to automatically deploy serverless resources such as EventBridge, SNS, Lambda function to receive alert events and send alert notifications to customers’ specified platforms.
Amazon EventBridge: The EventBridge is a serverless event bus that makes it easy to connect applications together using data from your own applications, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications, and Amazon Web Services services. As examples, the solution configured two EventBridge rules for two type of events: Amazon EC2 State Change and Amazon EC2 Health State Change. Once these events occur, the rules will be automatically triggered.
Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS): The SNS is a fast, flexible, fully managed push messaging service. The EventBridge pushes events to an SNS topic. The SNS will trigger Lambda function to send off alert notification.
Amazon Lambda: The Lambda is a serverless computing service that lets you run code without provisioning or managing servers. The solution uses Lambda to send messages to third-party platforms.
Amazon Secrets Manager: The Secrets Manager helps you protect secrets needed to access your applications, services, and IT resources. The solution uses Secrets Manager to store the credentials of third-party platforms, which will be later fetched by the Lambda function. Please refer to the solution deployment guide for detailed configuration.
Serverless Alert Notifier
Last updated: 11/2021
Author: Amazon Web Services
Estimated deployment time: 3 min
Open source and customization
Security Best Practices
Browse our portfolio of Amazon Web Services -built solutions to common architectural problems.
Find Amazon Web Services certified consulting and technology partners to help you get started.
Sign-up and start exploring our services.