Posted On: Jan 27, 2022
Amazon RDS for MariaDB 10.6 is available in Amazon Web Services China (Beijing) Region, operated by Sinnet and Amazon Web Services China (Ningxia) Region, operated by NWCD. With this release, we are introducing multiple features to enhance the performance, scalability, reliability and manageability of your workloads, including:
- MyRocks storage engine: You can use the MyRocks storage engine with RDS for MariaDB to optimize storage consumption of your write-intensive, high-performance web applications.
- IAM integration: You can now configure Amazon’s Identity and Access Management (IAM) with your Amazon RDS for MariaDB instances to simplify access management of your Amazon resources.
- Upgrade options: You can now upgrade to RDS for MariaDB 10.6 from any prior major release (10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5). You can also take a snapshot of an existing MySQL 5.6 or 5.7 instance and use the RDS snapshot restore feature to convert it into a MariaDB 10.6 instance.
- Delayed replication: You can now set a configurable time period for which a read replica lags behind the source database. In a standard MariaDB replication configuration, there is minimal replication delay between the source and the replica. With delayed replication, an intentional delay can be used as a strategy for disaster recovery.
- Oracle PL/SQL compatibility: RDS for MariaDB 10.6 allows you to easily migrate your legacy Oracle applications to RDS.
- Atomic DDL: Your DDL statements will now be crash-safe with RDS for MariaDB 10.6. CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE, RENAME TABLE, DROP TABLE, DROP DATABASE and related DDL statements are now atomic. Either the statement is fully completed, or everything is reverted to its original state.
- Other enhancements: JSON_TABLE function for transforming JSON data to relational format within SQL, faster empty table data load with Innodb, new sys_schema for analysis & troubleshooting, optimizer enhancement for ignoring unused indexes and performance improvements.
To learn more about Amazon RDS for MariaDB 10.6 and how to upgrade your database instances, please refer to the Amazon RDS User Guide. Launch a new Amazon RDS for MariaDB 10.6 database instance or upgrade your current instance with just a few clicks in the Amazon Web Services Management Console.